Tugboats, the semi's of the ocean. They pass Powell River pulling logbooms, construction barges, scows of hogfuel and chips for the local paper mill, train barges, barges loaded with
semi-trailers and chemical tankers and more. And I take their pictures as they pass.

Here you will find some of the photos I have taken of those tugboats as they pull their tows up and down Malaspina Strait and the surrounding waters. Big ones and little ones, good looking tugs and some not so.
I like them all, and if you like tugs - including tugs converted to other uses - I invite you to have a look.

( Always check the sidebar at right for the latest updates. )

GM Venture

GM Venture - 2014-08-16


The GM Venture - here working in the Catalyst Mill harbour. She had towed a barge of scrap metal to the City Transfer loading ramp, coming from the Campbell River area, and went back north running light. Owned by Larson Towing, out of Campbell River.

In the last 3 shots she had towed a barge of hog fuel south from Campbell River.

Length: 11.4m Breadth: 4.75m Draft: 1.55m Power: 440 BHP Year Built: 1960


GM Venture - 2013-08-23

GM Venture - 2013-08-23

GM Venture - 2013-08-23



3 comments:

  1. Hi Paul! Glad to see you're back posting - and how nice to see nice shots of tugs in action. Good shots, as always, and the setting is gorgeous. (I know it's been glamorized and upscaled, but Viking King is a real beauty).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always amazes me how such a small vessel can move such large loads. They are a wonder to watch. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  3. PAUL, my dear online friend! What an absolute delight to see your comment on my blog post! I'm thrilled that you've found your niche in the blog world and have begun a place for your wonderful point of view! Kudos! (PS, I've just retire from school bus driving.... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are invited, but unfortunately not anonymously. Google account holders only, as the spammers are ruining it for the rest.